Thursday, September 20, 2012

How to style the Pixie haircut

One thing I've learned about the Pixie is that it's a constant pain in the ass when growing out. You have to posses nerves of steel when it comes to short hair. At first it's all glamor and cheese, unicorns and fluffy bunnies, but a few months later, when your head has grown the size of a mutated onion, it gets kind of irritating. But until then, the Pixie is a great source for experimenting and playing with different styles.

There are hundreds of tutorials on youtube and blogs, but I've come to the conclusion every girl needs to experiment with as many styles as possible, to find what suits her face. For example, my face is oval, slightly longer, my hair is twig like and thin. So when I try those styles of those girls that look like damn Hollywood hairstyles, it just doesn't fit the frame. The frame being my enormous bug eyes, long face and twig hair. So I want to show you my ways of styling this pretentious broom and if you have an oval face too, this should suit you too.

Update 2013:
I grew my hair already, but the whole pixie cut ordeal was a very enlightening adventure. To all the people who are wondering "what the hell is she talking about" you can check out my post about this so called adventure here!

1. First thing that comes to mind of course are accessorizes. When it comes to lazy-half-assed ways to beautify your pixie, the best ones are diadems, hats, headbands, hair clips. 
For me the beanie is the one hat that really sucks with my pixie, every other hat is fine. Obviously, hats only work for colder days and even just a tiny bit colder, because when you expose your head with the pixie, the slightest breeze seems like a razor blade cutting through your skull!

So we move onto headbands! I've come to the conclusion that if my hair is messier, it looks better with a headband. I usually apply foam, but the foam gives it a wet look, so for the headband your ordinary wax should do. 



Basically, you can use a scarf, headband or any kind of fabric lying around the floor. Just make sure to dust it off.  Actually this kind of styling is MAGIC when you're growing out the hair, and desperately need to settle it down.


Diadems are a piece of cake, just put it on girl!
 



2. Slightly different

Try adding more hair on any side you choose, makes it more voluminous and punk.



3. Faux Hawk is the most common way to style your do. For me Faux Hawk don't always work, because of the longer face. When I make my hair stand up, it gives my face an even longer edge, which I don't mind, but it kind of looks like the ghosty from Scream.
(Yes I do have a cat, two cats to be precise. And yes, I'm too lazy to clean my clothes, and yes it's gross, I don't care!)



4. Partial Faux Hawk. Straighten just the front of the hair. I used water and wax again, then blow with hairdryer. Sorry for the sticking hairs, I was kind of in a hurry to do nothing :D




5. Messy son of a...hair.
Well..not my brightest idea, to be honest. If you have bigger head, this may not be the perfect solution. But you never know until you try. For this one you can use only foam, or nothing in my case. My hair has the ability to stand into weird positions no matter what. Scramble the hair into every direction possible.



6. Spiky.
Spiky is the variety of the messy one, only with more messiness and more product. Try shaping spikes with wax or hair gel, it works with both. You may pay attention to every little hair and "make it look" like a messy do, but I decided just to mess the fuck out of it. (I look like a dumb ass, I know)


7. Bangs.
 If your pixie has grown a little bit, you can always make an emo fringe.



Anyone interested in my take on growing out the pixie, can check out my other post

44 comments:

  1. Great post, I like all the styles!
    Thanks for the comment =)
    XOXO
    Ylenia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very pleasant to the eye :)
    Greetings from Poland!
    caayenne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Четвъртата прическа най-много ми харесва! Браво за търпението и идеите, които имаш (на мен напоследък ми липсват...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! I LOVE the faux-hawk & the upwards sideswipe. BUT, you would look AMAZING regardless!

    Please make sure that all lettering is as big as we can get it, as it’s going up on a big screen projector, and people will need to see it from far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one of the most beautiful girl I ever seen on having pixes haircut! Not everyone can pull off a haircut like this and you absolutely rock it!

    http://www.wear2day.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. numbers 1, 5 and 6 include the best variants in my opinion.
    especially nr 1 since all those colourful hair accessories look great with your dark hair.

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're really cute in a Faux Hawk hairstyle and with your bow headband. :)

    http://kathastrophee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are rocking that hair cut! my hair is just below shoulder length, but i am completely unimaginative in the ways that wear it. it's pretty much down and air dried all day every day, but your post has me thinking that i should try to be a little bit more creative. these looks are so inspiring. my personal favorite is the spiky look-sweet but with a touch of edge. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. really cool! You look good with that kind of cut

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, everytime I come to your blog, I always get the urge to chop my hair off again, your short hair always looks so cool and fun! (And yours looks way cuter at the grow out stage, mine just went everywhere. Lots of hats and hair clips.) All of these styles look fantastic on your, but I like the little faux mowhawk the best. ;)

    And oh god, I laughed over the title of number six. Yes, Johny Bravo hair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're extremely gorgeous, girl (those eyes and cheekbones)! And even though I'm adamant about keeping my long hair, I've always secretly wanted to do a cool pixie cut; unfortunately though my face shape just doesn't go with it! I really enjoyed this post--I liked scrolling down and seeing the different looks and detailed explanations and how-tos. Even though you seriously looked fantastic in all styles, I'd say my personal favorites were the faux hawk and the spiky one. :) Absolutely ace post!

    With love from San Francisco, California,
    Sabrina
    http://www.rougespark.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You absolute cutie! Who knew short hair was so versatile??! Loving all these looks - my faves are probably the Partial Faux Hawk and spiky but you look great in all the shots xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great hairstyle ideas! If I had short hair I would try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never thought a pixie style is so hard to style. I thought you can just get away by letting it be. If I had a pixie cut, I would probably use headbands most of the time.

    http://ahintofsunlight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahah you're so right, few fingers would present a significant obstacle in getting my hands on a valentino rockstud clutch. kidney it is. bisous xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. yeah pixie cut is hard to maintain for sure... I had it when I was younger, and I remember growing it out to make it long was a pain too! love the first pic btw <3 happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aw what a great post! I haven't dared to cut my hair this short since I don't think it's very flattering for me and my face...but I love this on you! Great ideas for the growing out phase!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://adoretoadorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely hair :)
    http://msversatiletips.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. the vibrant and electric colors look fabulous on you, should wear them more often ;)
    ********
    HF

    http://the-hf-blog.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks lovely on you! I remember when I had a pixie cut, it's freeing and stylish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a great idea, honey! :) Love the styles you have shared here with us.
    All the best,

    Jana & Vanessa from charming Berlin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. i like the partial faux hawk a lot! you're so cute! :D

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOve , love, love your hair in every way you style it!!!
    I am too scared to get rid of mine:(

    http://adollwithoutstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. You do look so cute in headband but I also love your faux hawk look!!!

    ang-closet365.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, how are you?
    I love your blog, I always visit now.
    I invite you to visit my FAN PAGE on facebook : http://www.facebook.com/couturetrend1
    And also visit my blog, you'll love it. In addition to the fashion world, we will cover various topics such as: the beauty, the architecture, the decor, pop culture, travel, places, people and food.
    BLOG : http://couturetrend.blogspot.it/

    I hope your visit!

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great hair cut! You are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. With my curls and waves i know i would never do a pixie, but i had fun nevertheless seeing your supercute face shots and reading your rants!<3

    Shubhi's Revels!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kit, it can be difficult to keep a perfect PIXIE HAIRCUT as yours, however it is just amazing on you.. so I think it's worth it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, interesting post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts.
    Tape Hair Extensions

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just cut 10 inches off of my hair and needed some ideas-this helped a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. you give hope to my pixie.
    It's massively thick and it lost all its natural curl when i cut it off.
    (one of those, i'm a hair dresser i'll just do it myself kind of effects)
    I neeed to buy me some fabric to do the headbands.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love your diadem headband. where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear! It's from Asos :)

      Delete
  34. THANKS!!!
    ... now if only my hair would stay like that....

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. i want it to be styled in a crazy messy standed up way

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment on the bloggy! It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside!